Nicholas finished treatment on 11/18/2010. He will continue to go for blood work for the next 3 years. He is still in remission.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

A First

Hello all,
I have been asked to pick up some of the slack around here, so I am writing my first ever blog. Karen has definitely found an outlet with writing in the blog, but it is also a bit of burden as she has started back at work. With all of the support we have received she spends a great deal of time writing thank you notes to all the wonderful people who have been so generous. It is an odd feeling to have so much support. At one moment you are both so thankful and yet feel as though there are others who need more than we.
Nick has been a constant focus and yet we are trying to make sure we balance our efforts with all three boys. Colby has had a lot thrown at him in a short amount of time. With the adjustment to kindergarten just beginning his new "normal life" changed again. This time it keeps changing. Nick goes in the hospital, nick comes home. Nick is sick, Nick is his old self. Nick also seems to take a lot out on Colby. Needless to say we are doubling our efforts to try and help Colby through this as well. We have faith that all of this will make us all stronger and closer.
Nick has gone through the first three rounds of eight radiation treatments. He has also had one Lumbar puncture out of the four he will have by next Friday. This phase of the treatment is called Central Nervous System Therapy. It runs for 3 weeks and is concurrent with the Continuation phase II which will last for 30 weeks. So, Nick has also started this. He has 3 week cycles which include on day 1 of each cylce 2 chemo's through the port and one injected by needle in the leg. This drug injected in the leg is called asperiginase. So far (with the one shot) Nick handled it well(He was sleeping). The concern here is that ~30% of kids are allergic to this drug. Some are allergic right away, some take a few additive shots. We have hurdled the first step with this drug. Now back to the 3 week cycles. He will also take a chemo pill home for him to take for 14 days and a steroid for 5 days. Along with these drugs Nick has to take zantac and zofran. As you can see Nick will begin each 3 week cycle with a lot and then have a week or so to recover. I know that Karen has writen a lot about how well Nick has been handling things. For the most part that is true, radiation started out on the wrong foot. Not the best Anasteseologist maybe or maybe Dad should have been a little more on his toes as to what should happen. Anyway, Nick got through that experience and is now much more relaxed and comfortable with going to sleep and getting the radiation. When he woke up this morning from the treatment he wanted to get right up and he hollars out with 6 or so people from the hospital in the room. "Whew, that medicine you put in my port makes me dizzy". Everyone cracked up laughing. He then proceeded to tell them what to do and they pretty much listened.
We as a family are trully looking forward to Christmas and the week after. Both Karen and I are off work the whole week and are looking forward to spedning quality time with all the kids. We are praying that it will be at home!! Take care and we hope this finds you all healthy and happy.


The Love Family said...

Greg I am happy to see you blog. I know that everyone in the family is trying to keep a good balance and things are up and down. We are thankful that we can help out when ever you need us. Support is just a phone call away. Stay strong we all praying for you guys! Aunt Amy

The Wykoff Family said...

Unce Greg, Thanks for the update. We are glad to hear Nick has EVERYONE on their toes. We say a lot of prayers for all of you and hope to see you soon.
Justin, Luke, Kaitlyn, Mark and Christa