Update:

Nicholas finished treatment on 11/18/2010. He will continue to go for blood work for the next 3 years. He is still in remission.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Nick is in the Hospital

Update as 12 noon today:
Nick's fever has broken. He is feeling okay. The doctors have decided to go ahead and give him Tamiflu as a preventative. They also did a nose swab to check for the flu, H1N1, and any other viruses he might have. He is resting comfortably and watching Indiana Jones. We may be able to go home tomorrow, but we will have to wait and see how his counts are.


Hi Everyone,
I guess there was a reason for his ANC to drop over a week. I am back from my trip and glad I jumped on an earlier flight to be home. Nick had a great day today and a playdate with Michael. I was able to give him a hug before he fell asleep on the couch. Greg carried him to bed and he seemed to be fine. Nick ended up coming into our room around 11:30pm and we noticed he was feeling very warm. We took his temp. and it was 101.1. I mentioned before and I have to repeat it, we were waiting for this. I took him into the ER and the place was packed. We were both wearing masks and I was surprised to see many parents not wearing masks while their children were coughing away. I found the first person I could and asked for a room right away. I guess I thought I would be prepared for our ER visit, but it does not change. Nick did not like his port being accessed and cried through it. We are now up in the 'red' pod, a familiar place but it has been since March the last time we were here. Of course there are new restrictions, no visitors under 18, including siblings and the doors remain closed into the pod. The precautions are good. The doctor wants to start him on tamiflu. They do not think he actually has H1N1, but because of his counts and fever, it is a precautionary measure. His ANC is 60, pretty low from just Monday when he was clinic. His White blood cells is 1.2 and red blood cells at 9.4. I'll try to keep everyone posted on his progress back to a healthy bill. I am going to try and get some sleep. I think I have been up for 24 hours now. Take care. Karen

2 comments:

The Wykoff Family said...

We hope you get out soon Nick!!!! Get those bad germs out. Guess you missed mommy while she was away and this is one way to get her to yourself:))))))
the Wykoffs

PleaseRecycle said...

Oh man! We know how all this feels- glad they are starting him on tamiflu now though. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, especially after what we just went through. I sure do hope you get to go home today!!!