Update:

Nicholas finished treatment on 11/18/2010. He will continue to go for blood work for the next 3 years. He is still in remission.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

ER visit turned into a stay

Hello,
I guess the excitement of the weekend was a lot for Nick. He started coughing yesterday and through the night last night. I kept taking his temp. and he was fine. He went to school today and was feeling tired after he got off the bus. Again, I took his temp. and he was fine. We decided to go to lunch at Teppanyki's and he did not eat much. He then fell asleep for a couple of hours and woke up around 3:30. He felt really warm and sure enough he spiked a fever. I called clinic to let them know we were going to the ER because it was to late to go through clinic. Of course Paula our nurse at clinic said she would come to the ER and access Nick's port for us if we could make it there before 4:30pm. Nick was not happy about leaving home and going to the hospital. At the ER his temp. was 104 and his heart rate was up 160. His labs came back and his ANC is 104... definitely neutropenic. I am staying with him tonight. We did not pack clothes, I guess thinking optimistically, Greg drove down and dropped some off for us. (Thank Nana for helping out at the last minute) We will see how his counts are tomorrow. His red blood cells dropped from 10.6 to 8.6 in two days, so not sure if he will need a transfusion tomorrow. I am thinking we will be here until Friday which really stinks because Nick has a performance at school in the morning. He has been practicing for his line and I know he will be very upset if he misses school. It has not been a big deal to Nick when he misses school but I know this time will be hard on the 6 year old. Take care, Karen

1 comment:

Kat said...

Hope you guys get out of there quick! I always feel so bad for Mimi when we plan on someting and she gets stuck in the hospital, But we try our best to make it up 10 times better :)